* Kahanov, Y., C. Doherty, and S. Shalev. "The Metal Nails from the Ma'agan Mikhael Ship". The International Journal of Nautical Archaeology, 28(3), 1999: 277-288.
* Kahanov, Y. "Some Aspects of Lead Sheathing in Ancient Sailing Ship Construction". In: Tzalas, H. ed. Tropis V. Proceedings of The 5th International Symposium on Ship Construction in Antiquity, Nauplia, 1993, Hellenic Institute for the Preservation of Nautical Tradition, Athens, 1999: 219-224.
* Kahanov, Y. "The Ma'agan Mikhael Ship. A Comparative Study of Its Hull Construction". In: Pomey, P. and E. Rieth eds. Archaeonautica Vol. 14, Construction navale maritime et fluviale. Proceedings of the Seventh International Symposium on Boat and Ship Archaeology, Tatihou 1994, CNRS Editions 1999: 155-160.
Khalilieh, H. S.
* Khalilieh, H. S. "The Ribat System and Its Role in Coastal Navigation". Journal of the Economic and Social History of the Orient, 42(2), 1999: 212-225.
* Khalilieh, H. S. "The Legal Opinion of Maliki Jurists Regarding Andalusian Muslim Pilgrims Travelling by Sea during the Eleventh and Twelfth Centuries C.E". Mediterranean Historical Review, 14(1), 1999: 59-69.
* Mart, Y. and A.H.F. Robertson. "Lithological Characteristics of Eratosthenes Seamount, Southern Cyprus and the Southern Levant in the Cretaceous and Early Tertiary". In: Emeis, K.C., A.H.F. Robertson et al. Eds. Ocean Drilling Program, Scientific Results, vol. 160, College Station, TX, 1998: 701-708.
* Böttcher, M., Y. Mart, and H.J. Brumsack. "Data report: Geochemistry of Pliocene and Miocene Carbonates from the Eratosthenes Seamount (Site 965)". In: Emeis, K.C., A.H.F. Robertson, et al. Eds. Ocean Drilling Program, Scientific Results, vol. 160, College Station, TX, 1998: 447-452.
*Robertson, A.H.F., K.C. Emeis, C. Richter and ODP Leg 160 Shipboard Science Party. "Collision-related Break-up of a Carbonate Platform (Eratosthenes Seamount) and Mud Volcanism in the Mediterranean Ridge: Preliminary Synthesis and Implications of Tectonic Results of ODP Leg 160 in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea". In: Cramp A., C.J. McLeod, S.V. Lee, E.J.W. Jones eds. Geological Evolution of Ocean Basins. The Geological Society, London, Special Publication No. 131, 1998: 243-272.
* Belknap, D. P. and Y. Mart. "Shelf-edge Marine Terrace off Northern Israel and Late Pleistocene Sea - Level Variations". Journal of Coastal Research, 15(2), 1999: 399-412.
* Raban, A. "Sebastos, the Royal Harbor of Herod at Caesarea Maritima: 20 Years of Underwater Research". In: Volpe G. ed. Archeologia Subacquea, Come Opera l'Archeologo. Storie dalle Acque. Edizioni All'insegna del Giglio, Firenze, 1998: 217-273.
* Raban, A., E.G. Reinhardt, R.T. Patterson and J. Blenkisop. "Paleoenvironmental Evolution of the Inner Basin of the Ancient Harbor at Caesarea Maritima, Israel; Foraminiferal and Sr Isotopic Evidence". Revue Paleobiologique, 17(1), 1998: 1-21.
* Raban, A. ed. The Richness of Islamic Caesarea. Hecht Museum, Catalogue No. 15, 1999.
* Raban, A. "The Introduction of the First Composite Anchors". In: Tzalas, H. ed. Tropis, V, Proceedings of The 5th International Symposium on Ship Construction in Antiquity, Nauplia, 1993. Hellenic Institute for the Preservation of Nautical Tradition, Athens, 1999: 337-338.
* Reinhardt, E.G. and A. Raban. "Destruction of Herod the Great's Harbour at Caesarea Maritima, Israel - Geoarcheological Evidence". Geology, 27(9), 1999: 811-814.
* Holum, K.G., A. Raban and J. Patrich eds. Caesarea Papers 2, Journal of Roman Archaeology, suppl. Series, 35, Portsmouth, Rhode Island, 1999, 440pp.
* Raban, A., E. Reinhardt, M. McGrath and N. Hodge. "The Underwater Excavations 1993-1994", Caesarea Papers 2, Journal of Roman Archaeology, suppl. Series no. 35, 1999: 152-168.
* Raban, A. "The Lead Ingots from the Wreck Site (Area K8)", ibid.: 179-188.
* Raban, A., R. Toueg S. Yankelevitz and Y. Arnon., "Land Excavations in the Inner Harbor (1993-1994)". Ibid.: 198-224.
* Shalev, S., Y. Kahanov and C. Doherty. "2400 Year Old Nails from a Shipwreck: A Study of Copper in a Marine Archaeological Environment". Journal of Materials 51(2), 1999: 14-20.
* Sivan, D., G. Gvirtzman and E. Sass. "Quaternary Stratigraphy and Paleogeography of the Galilee Coastal Plain, Israel". Quaternary Research, 51, 1999: 280-294.
* Sivan, D. and E. Galili. "Holocene Tectonic Activity in the Coastal and Shallow Shelf of the Western Galilee, Israel, a Geological and Archaeological Study". Israel Journal of Earth Sciences, 48, 1999: 47-61.
* Roditi, M., O. Goffman, D. Kerem, E. Spanier and Z. Shreib. "Toothed Whales Living or Visiting the Eastern Coast of the Mediterranean". Proceedings of the 35th Annual Conference of the Zoological Society of Israel, University of Haifa, December 1998: 60.
* Spanier, E., "Artificial Reefs Off the Mediterranean Coast of Israel". In: Jensen A., K. Collins & A. Lockwood, eds. Artificial Reefs in European Seas. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Hampshire, 1999: 1-19.
*Spanier, E., N. Kress, and M. Tom. "The Use of Coal Fly-ash in Marine Concrete for Artificial Reefs in the Southeastern Mediterranean". Proceedings of the 7th Conference on Artificial Reefs and Related Habitats. Sanremo, Italy, 6-11 October, 1999: 323-345.
* Angel, D. L. and E. Spanier. "Artificial Reefs to Reduce Organic Enrichment Caused by Net Cage Fish Farming - Preliminary Results". Proceedings of the 7th Conference on Artificial Reefs and Related Habitats. Sanremo, Italy, 6-11 October, 1999: 478-485.
* Spanier, E. "Artificial Reefs in the Mediterranean - Past, Present & Future". Abstracts of the Conference Mare Nostrum - Physical, Humanistic and Cultural Aspects of the Mediterranean. University of Haifa, May, 1999: 129.
* Spanier, E., N. Kress and M. Tom. "The Effect of Coal Fly-ash Consolidated in Concrete on the Marine Environment". Proceedings of the11th Symposium on the Mediterranean Continental Margins of Israel, University of Haifa, May, 1999: 25.
* Spanier, E., N. Kress, and M. Tom. "Can Coal Fly-ash be Used as an Environmentally Safe Substitute for Sand in Marine Concrete in the Mediterranean?" Proceedings of the 7th International Conference of the Israel Society for Ecology and Environmental Quality Sciences on Environmental Challenges for the Next Millennium. Jerusalem, Israel, June 13-18, 1999: 92.
* Spanier, E., N. Kress, and M. Tom. The Effect of Coal Fly-ash Consolidated in Concrete on the Marine Environment - a final report for the Israel Electric Corporation. ILOR-H 1/99, 1999, 62pp.
* Spanier, E. and E. Menashe. "Predator-prey Interactions Between the Common Octopus, Octopus vulgaris and the Mediterranean Slipper Lobster, Scyllarides latus - Preliminary Results". Proceedings of the 7th Colloquium Crustacea Decapoda Mediterranea. Lisbon, Portugal, September 6-9, 1999: 111.
* Spanier, E., N. Kress, and M. Tom. "The Use of Coal Fly-ash in Marine Concrete for Artificial Reefs in the Southeastern Mediterranean". Abstracts of the 7th Conference on Artificial Reefs and Related Habitats. Sanremo, Italy, 6-11 October, 1999: 58.
* Angel, D. L. and E. Spanier. "The Potential of Artificial Reefs to Reduce Organic Enrichment Caused by Commercial Net Cage Fish Farming in the Gulf of Aqaba (Eilat)". Abstracts of the 7th Conference on Artificial Reefs and Related Habitats. Sanremo, Italy, 6-11 October, 1999: 81.
* Arnon, Y. "The Early Islamic Period in Caesarea as a Reflection of the Ceramic Data - Pottery and Oil Lamps". In: Raban, A. ed. The Richness of Islamic Caesarea, Hecht Museum Catalogue, No. 15, 1999: 14-23.
* Pollak, R. "Early Islamic Glass at Caesarea", ibid., 24-35.
* Toueg, R., "The Urban Planning of Islamic Caesarea", ibid., 8-13.
* Arnon, Y. "Islamic and Crusader Pottery (area I, 1993-4)". In: Holum, K. G., A. Raban, and J. Patrich eds. Caesarea Papers 2, Journal of Roman Archaeology, suppl. Series no. 35, 1999: 225-251.
* Pollak, R. "Glass from the Sediments of the Inner Harbour (area I14)",
* Lester, A., Y. Arnon and R. Pollak. "The Fatimid Hoard from Caesarea: A Preliminary Report". In: Barrucand M. ed. L' Egypt Fatimide, son Art et son Histoire. Presses de l' Universite Paris - Sorbonne, 1999: 233-248.
Psychological and Behavioral Aspects of Diving
Best Publishing Company; ISBN 094133273X
CMS Maritime Workshop Director, Stephen Breitstein, has joined forces with Baruch Nevo, of the Department of Psychology to write a new book entitled The Psychological and Behavioral Aspects of Diving. The volume has been published by the Best Publishing Company that specializes in books of special interest to divers and seafarers.
Prof. Nevo's fields of research include psychological measurement and evaluation of human behavior underwater. Mr. Breitstein is a veteran diving instructor and supervisor who has gained long experience in diver observation, especially in the execution of specific research tasks.
The book provides a review and analysis of the results of hundreds of research projects carried out over the last 40 years in fields such as: divers' sensory perception; the long-term impact of diving; the influence of hyperbaric pressure on cognitive and psychomotor functioning; the selection of suitable candidates for diver training; diving instruction; diving accidents; and panic and anxiety.
While based on scientific research, this book is also suitable for the general diving public, diving instructors and diving supervisors. The authors also elaborate on topics for future research, making this book a particularly valuable tool for the psychologist and the diving physiologist.
This is the first book published by a member of the CMS Maritime Workshop staff. The CMS is grateful to Prof. Nevo and to Mr. Breitstein for awakening interest in this often neglected aspect of diving and hopes that the future may see additional research in this field.